Saturday 26 October 2013

Newcastle Benfield (26-10-2013)

Newcastle Benfield 2 – 1 Benfield (Northern League Division 1), 26th October 2013


The final game of the Tyneside ground-hop was at Newcastle Benfield’s ground – not far from where I’d started the day at Chillingdon Road. There was enough of a gap between the Team Northumbria-Whitley Bay match and this one, so I had time to get fish and chips of the way. The shop seemed to be doing a good passing trade as many hungry hoppers ambled past. Benfield’s ground was located circa 2 miles from Team Northumbria, at the end of a cul-de-sac, with covered seating on the right, and nets on the near side. This was much what I expected from a Northern League ground.

After finishing off my chips, and the remainder of my oxo, I settled down for this one. To be honest, I was pretty exhausted after the run of games and was looking forward to reaching the B&B in time for Match of the Day. This game again proved competitive and tough. Morpeth threatened early when their number 9 hit straight at the keeper after a poke on the floor. The home side took the lead on 8 minutes, and doubled it almost immediately when number 9 slotted in on half an hour. Morpeth’s 10 scored after a mistake from the keeper to make it 2-1 on 34 minutes, and their number 9 missed a chance to equalise just before half-time. The second half definitely slackened off a bit in terms of pace and aggression and with it went my concentration levels. I discovered how difficult it is to focus on four football matches in a single day - hence the lack of any second half analysis!

I headed off to the B&B in Gateshead, where it turned out the proprietor was involved in Dunston UTS. I was relieved to put my feet up in the warm, have a cup of tea, and settle down for MoTD. On my way back to Newcastle station in the morning (along the banks of the Tyne), I managed to get a decent shot of Dunston’s ground. It was glorious sunshine as I left Newcastle, and even when I arrived in Sheffield. On the weekend that the clocks changed, this trip signalled the end of Autumn, and the imminent onset of winter.

It had been quite an experience, and I’d definitely do this again. Not sure if I have the stamina for one of the Easter hops, but I’d definitely do 3-4 in a day again. Well done to the organisers of this day from a grateful hopper!

No comments:

Post a Comment