Saturday 3 December 2016

Stocksbridge (03-12-2016)

Stocksbridge 1 - 2 Basford United (Evostik Division 1 South), Saturday 3 December 2016

Entry £7
Petrol £5 approx
Tea x2 £2
Programme £1-50
Total £15-50


After a Saturday morning at work, and last week's long trip to Hereford, I decided to head to Bracken Moor for my first December game. Up until February this year it had been almost 8 years since I'd visited, so I felt it was high time for my 3rd trip to Stocksbridge. The ground is beautiful, despite it's three sides, and I had a camera handy for the impressive views across the nearby valley. From our house it was only about a 40-minute drive up the M1 and the Woodhead Pass, so it was an ideal one today.

I was also attracted by the potential of seeing a 'Roy of the Rovers' type player. In my first visit back in 2008, I had unwittingly seen Jamie Vardy in action up here, so anything was possible. As the teams warmed up I had visions of an epic non-league encounter, and flowing, box-to-box football. 

To be frank the game was awful! The game was sadly defined by a bizarre refereeing decision in the 6th minute. Basford took a corner, the whistle went, and a Steels player caught the ball in his box. To the bemusement of all players (on both teams), the referee awarded a penalty to Basford! Despite the rather embarrassing circumstances, Basford's Ben Hutchinson kept his head and made it 1-0, with vocal protests still continuing from the home side. Courey Grantham then doubled the lead with a superb run and shot. Stocksbridge's effort in midfield finally paid off though, as Nathaniel Crofts cut the deficit when he cut in from the wing and had a go.

Chances were very limited in the second period. Basford forced a couple of decent saves from the home keeper, whilst Stocksbridge's striker saw a flicked header drift frustratingly wide. The Nottingham side seemed determined to sit on the lead for a somewhat fortuitous win. The main on-pitch event of the second half was when there was a clash at the far end of the pitch, resulting in a couple of yellow cards. As darkness fell, the main entertainment off the pitch was a loud group of Essex ground-hoppers, who were making bizarre noises and comments as the away keeper took goal kicks. I have enjoyed my visits to Stocksbridge, but unfortunately today had just been one of those days when the football is absolutely devoid of any entertainment! I was relieved to get into the car, warm up and head back down the motorway in time for tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment