Saturday 23 January 2016

Port Vale (23-01-2016)

Port Vale 1 - 1 Bradford City (League One), Saturday 23 January 2016

Train (Stockport-Stoke) £13-20
Match ticket £22
Pie and tea £4
Programme £3
Tea £1-95
Pasty £2-69

Like Burnley, Stoke seems to have occupied much of my attention in recent years. Market Drayton, Stoke City, Hanley, Eccleshall and now Port Vale. Vale Park would be the last ground I needed to see in the city. The ground is quite a distance from the station, and it took me about 50 minutes to get there. I was also going particularly slow as I was feeling the effects of recent travelling.

I arrived at the ground very late - 2:58 - and just had time to have my e-ticket scanned and grab refreshments as the game kicked off. I was in the Bycar Road stand behind the goal, which has two sets of seat rows separated by a long concrete walkway. At either end was an obligatory cage feature, and at the back of the stand were mini exits which (rather like Bramall Lane) were used as smoking dens. To my left was the main stand, which was split into seating on the left and all across the top, and some terracing along the bottom. Overall the ground was a beauty, an odd mixture of old and new, and was probably my 2nd favourite of the season (after Leek).

I was glad I'd made it inside in time - Vale scored within a minute or so, when 20 went clean through and finished neatly. The away team Bradford could only manage a succession of tame efforts from 17 and 4, and in a half of few chances, Vale dominated.

Before the second half began I noticed a curious phrase across the away end seats reading Tvale Allclu. Maybe it was Welsh? Or maybe it was the name of the club which was partially covered by the away fans?!

The second period began with a bang, when the Bantams' 4 saw red for a scything challenge. Vale should have capitalised at this point, and shots from 6 and 42 were deflected wide as they began to dominate possession. Then against the run of play Bradford equalised when 19 ran clear to much jubilation at the Hamil Road End. Vale were starting to look a little frustrated, and 3s long range effort flew over the bar soon after. One of Bradford's few chances came when 16s effort from the edge of the box was tipped over by the alert home keeper. Still Vale tried, but to no avail! 5s left footer went wide and 18 came close when his strike went about a foot past the post.

On the final whistle boos rang out across the ground. They had struggled to break down a resilient Bradford side, and were still locked in a mid-table stalemate with them. I was glad to get moving and warm up a bit as there was something of a chill in the breeze. This leaves with me with 3 league grounds left in the North West (Crewe, Preston, Morecambe) and 1 non league (Litherland). I was back in the house at 8, in plenty of time for Casualty and to see some ridiculous MoTD scores (Norwich 4 - 5 Liverpool!)

No comments:

Post a Comment