Saturday 19 December 2015

Parkgate (19-12-2015)

Parkgate 1 - 1 Tadcaster Albion (NCEL Premier), Saturday 19 December 2015

South Yorkshire bus ticket £5
Programme £1-50
Raffle £1
Entry £5
Bovril £1
Total £13-50


I had fully intended to do Crewe this weekend, but opted for the easier local option of Parkgate in nearby Rotherham. I hopped onto the 72 at the end of our road, and decided to walk the couple of miles from the bus station. I'd been to Roundwood way back in 2008 so I was looking forward to revisiting another South Yorkshire ground. As I headed out past a cluster of out of town shops, a chap approached me asking for directions to the ground! It turned out he'd asked pretty much everyone, and nobody knew, not even a policeman! I think I surprised him when I said I was on my way there too and also with my Southern accent.

As we walked towards Rawmarsh, he told me almost a life history. He was a 69-year old retired bricklayer, and his grandson Jordan (a welder) had recently moved from Hallam to Parkgate. He also told me how much he was paid, and while I can't recall exact figures, I think it was something like £20 for a goal plus a certain amount for each game. 

Roundwood is very much buried at the back of Rawmarsh, so I think he was grateful of my assistance (and that of Google maps!) The ground is as I remember - you enter behind one goal with some covered seats to your right and terraces - some grass covered - on the long side. Like a couple of grounds I've seen, one side is completely out of bounds to spectators, with a long row of hedges taking the place of any walkway. 

Tadcaster, in the away corner, came looking for maximum points today. Parkgate are a solid team but 'Taddy' are blasting through the league this year. They began in full throttle, with 9's early header rattling the bar and bouncing down very close to the line. On the wing 11 was looking handy, having a couple of decent efforts sAved. But as so often happens, goals come against the run of play. At the far end, Parkgate broke at pace and 10 found himself clean through, finishing with aplomb. It turns out this was my acquaintance's grandson! He was causing havoc every time he got the ball and very nearly nipped through again around the 40 minute mark. 

The second half turned into a real end to end game, and it could have gone either way. The interchanges between Parkgates 9,7,11 were excellent. Taddy are top for a reason however, and 9 lobbed just over, before 16s low cross was gathered in by the home keeper. P10 was booked for a feisty challenge in the middle, and p7 nearly ran clear after blocking a clearance. There were a catalogue of chances at both ends, most notably when t6 hit the crossbar. Despite a brave performance from the Rotherham side, they were pegged back to 1-1 when 10 slotted in a penalty awarded after a handball. There was still time for more, and t10 headed over, while a late Parkgate effort was just tipped over by the Taddy keeper. A cracking game, and while Parkgate maybe warranted more than a draw, this was a fine result against the league leaders. Back to Rotherham bus station for the 72 back to Sheffield. 



No comments:

Post a Comment