Saturday 19 April 2014

Washington (19-04-2014)

Washington 1 – 1 Seaham Red Star (Northern League Division 2), 19th April 2014


I’d thought that today’s hop was based around Newcastle, but game 2 today exposed my lack of geographical knowledge of the North East. Washington play at the Nissan plant in Sunderland, which was a 30-40 minute walk from Jarrow’s ground in Boldon. Sunderland is of course a separate city to Newcastle, so I felt a sense of trepidation as I crossed the boundary into the Wearside area. I had visions of not being able to find the ground in the huge Nissan plant, but need not have worried as the path I followed (alongside a transport museum) took me directly out onto a massive car-park, where there were plenty of sign-posts to the sports complex at the back.

Entrance £5 again, but this time the programme was thrown in for free, and it was a pretty impressive publication too, printed on card, and with plenty of detailed information about today’s game. As I expected, the ground was modern and neat, with a large upstairs bar in the clubhouse building, and a decent stand of seating on the right-hand side. I liked the stand, as it had 5-6 rows of terracing at the front, with a few rows of seats running back from there.

Looking at the league table, I expected Seaham to easily overcome Washington today, as they were sitting near the top of the table. It started off that way, with Seaham (actually playing in blue) having a couple of warning shots wide from Palmer and Johnston, before Nicholson’s side foot forced a terrific save from the home keeper. Washington started to hold their own in midfield, and opened the scoring after a swift move of one and two-touch football which ended with a great volley from David Southern. The Seaham keeper prevented them doubling their lead when he tipped a deflected shot around the post. It was clearly a good day for the goalies with home keeper saving a downward header from Seaham’s Darryll Donnelly, and then a free-kick from Washington tipped around almost bang on half-time.

The weather during the first half had been bizarre in the extreme. I’d ended up wearing a warm black hat to cope with the strong wind running across the ground, and sunglasses to cope with the bright sunny weather. I must have looked a sight to an impartial observer, but nobody seemed to mind. For the second half I opted for the terraces in front of the main stand, resting my tired legs before the walk back to the metro.

The second half was as evenly contested as the first, and Washington continued to belie their league position. Seaham’s Lewis Wing threatened with a curling shot flying wide early on, before Washington’s Coughlan was dismissed for a second yellow card. It looked like a soft one to me – either way, the impressive-looking home side were down to 10 men for this half. Seaham had a spell of possession and chances, and converted when Nicholson volleyed in to make it 1-1. Strangely from this point on, the chances all seemed to fall to Washington, who were utterly resolute in their attacking and desire to score another.  James Farley volleyed over, before his flicked header over an onrushing keeper didn’t quite reach the net.  Southern’s free kick flew over, before a tame right foot shot from Michael Roberts went wide. It finished 1-1, and the game was again a credit to this league. I headed for the exit, and off to the metro to make it back to Sheffield as early as possible. As I left the ground I heard a kid (presumably on the full ground-hop) say to a friend – ‘I think this is my second favourite ground this weekend’. I wonder what the first was!

No comments:

Post a Comment