Saturday 14 September 2013

Nantwich Town (14-09-2013)

Nantwich 1 – 2 Rugby Town (FA Cup 1st Round Qualifying), 14th September 2013

Train (Stockport to Nantwich) £12-30
I Paper 30p
Entrance £9
Programme £2
Tea £1-30
Bovril £1-30
Sandwich £3-99
Total £30-19





Today I was off to see Nantwich play Rugby in the FA Cup. But isn’t this blog about football I hear you ask? Bad joke I know. Nantwich Town, like Witton, is one of the many grounds in Cheshire which has been on my list for a while. I have to confess I am somewhat ignorant of the geography of the county (and neighbouring Staffordshire), despite a large non-league set-up in the area. This was an ideal opportunity to learn my geography today. Nantwich is just outside Crewe, and can be reached by an 8-minute ride on the Arriva service to Shrewsbury. Like Knaresborough, I’d recommend a visit to the town itself, which is full of independent shops, and has a marina alongside the Shrewsbury Union canal.

Weaver Park is located about a 10-15 minute walk from the centre of the town, and sits alongside the River Weaver. Another ‘W’ to continue the theme from Worksop and Witton. The ground was modern, having been built relatively recently, and wasn’t dissimilar to Wincham Park in Northwich. I am ambivalent about newer grounds, as sometimes they lack character and atmosphere. I handed over my £9 entrance (not bad for a club at this level) and asked for a programme from a kiosk just inside the ground. I was just about to hand over my £2 when the bloke said ‘just one second’, and proceeded to swat a wasp with a copy of the programme, making sure it was dead with a deft swipe. And of course he handed me the programme used to kill the wasp – not often I’ve been sold a murder weapon at a ground! Inside, the ground was neat and spacious, but lacked terraces at either end. A main stand of seating was directly opposite a section of terracing of about 5-6 terraces high. I wasn’t enamoured by the ground, and as I munched an egg sandwich, wondered whether this might be a memorable day today.

For the start of the game I took up my place almost bang on the halfway line in front of the terraced section. My fears about the ‘flatness’ of the ground were soon allayed when it became evident that the Nantwich fans were in good voice, and determined to generate an atmosphere. One chant, directed at the cluster of Rugby fans, ran ‘Ten fans on your big day out…’ In fact it was closer to 15 I would have said, but maybe that wouldn’t have fit into the bars of the song! The game started a bit flat, but gradually turned into a decent match. Rugby’s number 11 had a low shot saved, while Nantwich missed a sitter one-on-one with the keeper. There was an equal distribution of chances between the teams, with Rugby’s number 9 having a further shot saved, before the number 10 fired over. Nantwich took the lead just before 30 minutes, with a fine surge into the box from the Nantwich number 9.

The second half was as open as the first, and both teams looked like they would score. The key moment came on 50 minutes, when a legitimate free kick goal from Nantwich’s 11 (and a fine free kick at that) was disallowed. It was unclear what has happened, as the ball had clearly gone in, and the linesman appeared to be flagging for offside. It looked like the home side were in control of the game, and it would only be a matter of time before a second one. The Nantwich fans were in high spirits, with second half chants including ‘Your kit’s too big for you’ (directed at a short Rugby midfielder).  Another missed opportunity came when the home side’s number 19 just couldn’t quite connect with a cross from the left.
Nantwich couldn’t make their possession and dominance count in front of goal, and were punished on 80(ish) minutes when Rugby’s number 10 hit a venomous shot from outside the area, which deflected off the keeper before hitting the back of the net. Now it was anyone’s game. With the momentum swinging their way, Rugby took the lead on 85 minutes with a shot from number 6 rocketing into the bottom corner of the net. Their supporters were delighted, and finally started singing on their ‘big day out’ (all 10 or 15 of them!). Nantwich were perhaps a tad unlucky in this game, with the deflected equaliser, and the disallowed free kick just after half time. Rugby, on the other hand, should be proud of their dogged determination and grit to get back into the game. I’d recommend a visit to the Weaver Stadium, if only to experience the humorous and witty chants of the Nantwich crowd.


No comments:

Post a Comment